Sunday, November 25, 2007

GET YOUR MOTOR RUNNING.....HEAD OUT TO OHIO!!

That's right.... I did it!!!! The boys and I drove to Ohio to spend Thanksgiving with family. While we usually spend Thanksgiving with my immediate family (mom, dad, brother, etc..), we drove the 11 hour trip out to Cincinnati this year! I missed my family back home, but boy oh boy, what a sense of accomplishment. Since we all were in school on Tuesday, we stopped over night in Hagerstown Tuesday night and then made the rest of the drive Wed. I must say that I am so proud of my boys for being great riders in the car and just enjoying the scenery and singing songs together. They didn't have gameboys, toys, or even a working dvd player and they were just fine. Only had to raise my voice a few times.... other than that, GREAT trip!





Finally got to see 2 new additions to the Martin family ( Madeline and Kyle). Maddy just turned 1 the day before we arrived and Kyle is just 9 months. Beautiful children. Stayed with my cousin and her family and the boys and I felt right at home. Although we were only there for really 2 1/2 days, it was well worth the trip. The boys and I had a GREAT time, we just wished we lived closer. Turkey Day was spent with family and Friday we went downtown Cincinnati to ice skate, take a carriage ride, and go thru a famous display of trains (decorated for the holidays). Friday night was a surprise party for my cousin's sister in-law. Had a blast just having a few beers (knowing I had an 11 hour drive the next day) and talking to people I never met before. Had a blast playing a game us Marylanders would consider close to horseshoes.... but it was called corn hole. Huge game out there and it was fun to play. Steve ( my cousin's hubby) should be making me a set in Redskin colors.



All in all, it was a great way to spend the holiday. Today it's unpacking, laundry, grocery shopping, and of course football. I will say that this trip had me anxious at first. Knowing that I was responsible for all three of us driving 11 hours thru mountains and jumping deer..... but I did it! Hopefully my boys can see that sense of responsibility and pride and realize that we are a great family of three. After Jody died, my security and Austin's were shattered (Collin was too little). Hopefully, little by little, they are gaining it back like me.

2 comments:

karen said...

You go girl!! I'm so glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Congrats for making it to Ohio. My hubby likes to tell people I can get lost in a wet paper bag. Unfortunately, he's right.

Anonymous said...

Boone's Mom A.K.A. Nancy

And I thought I accomplished a feat by driving up and back to The Tunney's in Baltimore on Thanksgiving Day. Congratulations!! NO DVD?? I'm impressed. Glad you had a great holiday.