Friday, August 17, 2007

YUCK...YANKEE STADIUM



August 15, 2007 ....... 1:05 game. Yankees vs. Orioles @ Yankee Stadium.

If you're a Yankee fan... I'm sorry. My family and friends went to this past Wednesday's game, and all I can say is, "What a let down"!!! Maybe I'm a little spoiled because I'm so use to Camden Yards and before that Memorial Stadium but Yankee Stadium is truly the pits. I realize it was built in 1923 and they had renovations from 1974-1975. Maybe they should have renovated for longer than that. However, even at a 1:05 game.... I had a strong grip on my youngest and my oldest had to hold tightly onto my back shirt to walk thru the stadium. The hallways seemed only 5 feet in width and people were on top of one another.

As an O's fan, the game was great... except for the rude Yankee fans that didn't care about throwing out any curse words that came to mind (even with a 5 year old just inches behind them). My brother in-law warned me about wearing any O's stuff, but my youngest had his jersey on and I had my shirt and hat on. Fans didn't harass us, although we kept our cheering rather quietly.

I realize they are building the new stadium right across the street ( hopefully it will be a major improvement than this stadium). When we left they blocked off exists and we basically had to walk completely around the stadium and jump a fence to make it back to our parking lot. Remember this is the Bronx, and I wasn't feeling too comfortable with this. We finally get to our parking lot only to sit for a half an hour before we finally move. To make the long story short, we took MANY wrong turns and even went down a one way street, and finally was on the right path about an hour and a half later.

I guess it was just a let down because you think of the Yankees and you think $, and A-Rod, and Jeeter. I didn't imagine a small stadium (even my oldest asked why the field looked so small), and filth everywhere. I wanted my oldest to experience another stadium other than Camden Yards but I won't be taking him back again. Friends were great to be with but I can't imagine sitting thru all that mess again. Best part was seeing the O's kick butt in the extra inning on Yankee territory.

Go O's and if you're a Yankee fan, I hope this new stadium is much better than the one I sat in. You deserve a much better stadium!!!!!!

No comments: