Monday, September 3, 2007

A SPECIAL TRIBUTE

I was watching a show the other day where Dave Trembley (manager of the O's) was talking about remembering your past, your roots, where you have come from, and defining moments that have made you the person you are today. When I think back to my childhood, much of it is foggy. However, one special child changed my life forever and taught me life long lessons that will never be forgotten...... my sister.



Lacey was born when I was in third grade and started her life with many health complications. Children's hospital in D.C. and Georgetown University hospital almost seemed to be her home away from home. When I grew older my parents and I would take shifts on spending the night with her because we always wanted someone with her. As her sister, I always shared a room at home with her... so this only felt right.

As time went by her health was a constant battle. At times, we didn't know which was worse... the illness or the side effects from the numerous medications. She fought a hard battle her last stay in the hospital (I believe was 3 1/2 weeks) as my mother, father, and I stood beside her and said goodbye.

What did I learn from my sister?

1. Never give up
2. Stand up and speak your mind for those you love
3. Never let an illness stop your laughter
4. It doesn't matter what color you are... what matters is how you are treated, and how you treat others.
5. Hold hands and snuggle with your loved ones

There are many other lessons and memories that I will always remember from Lacey. Also, from the doctors, nurses, her school, my coaches, etc.... who showed TRUE compassion. You can always tell who really has true compassion because it SHOWS, it's not just words but it's ACTIONS.

Make sure you let your loved ones know how much they are cared for. As I have said many times before in my posts, "It's not how many breaths you take, but how many moments take your breath away."

4 comments:

Bryan H said...

A sweet tribute that proves how large an impact we can have no matter how long our stay.

Angela said...

Thanks B!

Anonymous said...

I agree with B. People can definitely impact your life no matter how long or short their time on earth is.
There are entirely too many people that I don't always have time for it seems, but I always think about them and love them. Always take time to tell someone you care about how important they are to you and how much you love them. And you are right, ACTIONS speak louder than words. I am lately troubled by the lack of time I seem to have for all of the important people in my life. I know you and I have been playing phone tag for two weeks. I hope you know and I hope my famiy and friends know how very much I love and adore all of you.

Angela said...

I know you love me Red! I feel the same way. Always have something to do! Love Ya Babe !