Thursday, April 24, 2008

DISAPPOINTMENT!

Wow! I knew Austin's baseball game last night was going to be a good game (skill wise)but I didn't expect him to walk out of the dugout with so much disappointment. They didn't win or lose... it ended with a 4 to 4 tie. However, my son did lose. He lost that little gleam in his eyes because he just loves playing the game. He lost a lot of respect for the coaching and umpire staff. He learned last night that baseball isn't about the players having fun. Even after a great speech given by his coach in the dugout, the experience of the whole game just brought him down. How sad. He's 9 years old but last night was an eye opener and I just hope to see that gleam come back into his eyes. Only second game of the season.... I hope it does. LET'S PLAY BALL... Oh, I mean... Let's yell, curse, and scream in front of our kids.

2 comments:

killer said...

i couldnt have said it better...on top of all that because i was on the opposing team he couldnt even look me in the eyes today. and a couple other kids were saying my team cheated...all i did was sit in the dugout. makes me not even want to go out there anymore so i can only imagine how all the kids feel.

Angela said...

Kevin ~ You know I will tell Austin the truth as best I can. He was really taken back last night. YOU did nothing wrong. YOU encouraged and coached your team. I commend you for not getting involved in all that went on. Austin is old enough (and he was right there) watching grown men he use to respect look like idiots. I told him today at school to NOT discuss the game because as you know, we teach many of these children. I hope you weren't referring to Austin not being able to look you in the eye. If that's the case, I'm sorry... he respects you and realizes you didn't act like an idiot. Maybe he was associating you with the team in general. Just a terrible event for kids to witness and to watch my son (who has always loved baseball) walk out of the dugout with "that look" was a heartbreaker. Austin is a good kid and can now judge a person by their actions. He learned that quite well last night. Again I commend you for keeping your cool and staying a positive role model for your team... they need one :)